Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Kayak Math


I normally don't forward this kind of thing but it kind of intrigued me how it could actually work. The last math class that I took was sophomore geometry in high school. Fortunately for me, I was able to meet my science requirements in college and avoid the math department entirely. Like Jethro Bodine I can cipher my 'timeses' and 'goesintas' but anything involving lines that have no thickness or sines and tangents makes my eyes glaze over very quickly. So, here is the kayak calculator. I have no idea why it works but apparently 2009 is the only year that it will. Here goes......

This calculates your age by Kayak Math. Takes about 30 seconds and don't cheat and look at the bottom of the page. Get your mouse away from that scrolling icon!!


1) Pick the number of times a week that you would like to kayak. It needs to be more than once but less than 10. Sorry, I know 12-15 would be many people's choice but humor me.


2)Multiply tht number by 2. See, you can get up to 18 times a week anyhow!


3)Add 5 to the number just for the hell of it.


4) Multiply by 50. I'll hang out while you get the calculator to do your cipherin'.


5)If you already had your birthday this year, add 1759. If not, add 1758.


6)Now subtract the four digit year you were born in.


You should now have a three digit number. The first digit should be the original number of times you want to kayak a week from question #1. The next two numbers are your age.

Pretty cool, eh? I have no idea how or why it works and my cousin's kid that graduated from MIT is far to busy to explain it to me. This is the kind of stupid internet fun that I'm sure Al Gore had in mind when he invented the medium. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Nan said...

I just grabbed a number at random -- and it worked. It must be magic.

Silbs said...

I have a headache.

gurneygranny said...

My 12-year-old grandson showed us a similar trick a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps you could ask him to explain next time you see him. :)