Thursday, March 29, 2007

Fishing Gitchee Gumee from your kayak


One thread that I want to come back to in this crazy blog thing is fishing from the kayak. I figure as long as you are paddling you might as well be dragging something behind the boat. The best time for we kayakers to fish the Big Lake is in the early spring and the late fall when the lake is turning over and the baitfish are in the shallow water. Being forced to use anything like a Dipsy Diver or a downrigger to get your lure down deep is a major pain in the ass in a kayak. That being said I caught a nice Lake Trout on the surface last July that was eating June bugs from a bug slick off Herbster, WI. Lake trout, Brown trout, Steelhead, Chinook salmon, Coho salmon (tastiest fish in the lake in my opinion) and also walleye and Northern are all very catchable during those times of year. This northern, which is estimated at around 22-25 pounds and 40+ inches.....I sure as hell wasn't going to try to lift it to weigh or measure it in my kayak.....was caught in Lake Superior and released. The mark is some kind of fungal infection according to the DNR fisheries guy, not a lamprey scar as we assumed. More later on the nuances of fishing the Big Lake and some equipment options in later posts. My guess is the trout and salmon will start to bite in around 2 weeks or so on the South Shore.

No comments: